Advent: A Time For Waiting and Preparation…
Advent is a time where we come together as families as we prepare to receive Jesus in a new and fresh way each year. One tradition many Catholic families adopt is an Advent Wreath. It is kept in the home in a central place and a candle is lit on each of the Sundays before Christmas. We will be doing this as class families at Holy Spirit, but we encourage you to do the same at home. The first candle is the candle of hope, often called the ‘Prophet Candle.’ It is lit first to symbolize the news that a Saviour will be coming and we can have hope that God will never forget us. There is a 2 minute video on Advent that goes over the big ideas if you want to check it out. Wherever you are at in your family faith journey, we encourage you to connect with your kids and go a little deeper into the season of Advent then you may have in the past.
Also, Please join us for our Family Advent Mass this Wednesday, December 5th at St. Ambrose Church at 7PM. We would love all of our families to celebrate with us.
Math Literacy Learning Session For Parents
It is taking place December 6, 4-5:30 p.m., St. Mary’s Parish Hall (Located in the Board Office at 35 Weber St. in Kitchener).
Are you a parent of a child in our Board? Would you like to learn more about how students learn math? This session will expose parents to a variety of experiences that will model the types of tasks students engage in.
Parish Update From St. Ambrose
A Family Rosary will take place on Friday, Dec. 14th at 6:30pm at St. Ambrose Church. All families and children of ALL ages are welcome, no child is too young nor too old to attend. After the Rosary we will have fellowship in the church basement. Please bring a snack to share. Refreshments will be provided. Please use side door off the parking lot. “To pray the Rosary for children, and even more, with children, training them from their earliest years to experience this daily “pause for prayer” with the family, is admittedly not the solution to every problem, but it is a spiritual aid which should not be underestimated” Saint Pope John Paul II
Holy Spirit Family Advent Mass is Wednesday, December 5th. We would love it if all of our families could join us. Please check out the details in the attached invite.
Hot Lunch Orders
Many students choose to participate in our hot lunch program. Each Wednesday we have a different vendor and every Friday is Pizza Day. Please do not feel obligated to participate in every hot lunch offering that we provide. However, when you choose to use the service, all of the proceeds go directly to programs that enhance the educational experience of all students at Holy Spirit School. All are welcome to participate when it works for your family.
Monday, December 3rd
- Intermediate Homework Club at 8AM
Tuesday, December 4th
- Another FANTASTIC Day of Learning.
- Ask your children about the Number Talks and Fraction Talks they are doing as a class.
Wednesday, December 5th
- Reading Club
- Hot Lunch: Montana’s
- Family Advent Mass at 7PM at St. Ambrose Parish. ALL Are Welcome!
Thursday, December 6th
- EcoClub in library at Lunch
- Intermediate Homework Club at 8AM
- Math Literacy Session for Parents (Details Above) at 4PM. All are Welcome!
Friday, December 7th
- P.D. Day: Staff Faith Development Day
- No School for Students
Looking Ahead Beyond this week…
- Primary and Junior Christmas Concert (December 17th)
- Mr. Mastroianni Transitions to Vice-Principal of Holy Spirit (December 17th to 21st)
- Annual Christmas Turkey Lunch (December 18th)
- Dufflebag Theatre Performance at Holy Spirit (December 19th)
- Joy Day Intermediate Ballroom Performance (December 21st)
- Grade 7 Menengitis Gr. 7 Immunizations (January 10th)
- Mrs. Smyth, White and Martins Classes go to Shades Mill (January 11th)
- Family of Schools Pathway Night at St. Vincent De Paul (January 16th @ 6:30PM)
- First Communion Parent Meeting @ St. Ambrose Church (January 24th @ 6:30PM)
- P.D. Day (January 25th)