Our Lenten Journey Begins This Week…
Holy Spirit Families: This week is FULL of fun and exciting events, but our hearts can also be FULL as we prepare to celebrate Easter through the journey of Lent. In today’s mass readings, the emphasis was about Jesus’ passion to see everyone healed and united as a community. At Holy Spirit, we know that is an impossible task without the support of our parent community. Thank you in advance to those who will be serving at our Pancake Breakfast. If you are not able to join us on Tuesday, please know you are welcome at our Ash Wednesday Liturgy on Wednesday. We would also like to extend congratulations to those families with children in grade 2 who are preparing for first reconciliation. This is a beautiful sacrament and we are proud of the efforts our students and their teachers have made to be ready for this next step in our faith journey. Aside from all the preparations, there has been some great learning happening too. See some of it below:
Pancake Breakfast AND Valentine’s Exchange on Shrove Tuesday
On February 13th (THIS TUESDAY) there will be a FREE breakfast provided to our students from our Parent Council. As always, please send reusable cutlery and a plate so we can be eco-friendly with our event and continue working towards maintaining our Gold Level Status as an Eco-School. ALSO, a reminder to please bring all Valentine’s on this day so we can keep Ash Wednesday focused upon our Lenten Journey.
What is Ash Wednesday & Lent all about anyway?
If you are curious about some of faith-filled traditions, this 3 minute video in the link below will help build a common understanding so we can partner together when your children ask questions at home about our faith. We look forward to journeying through Lent together. Hope to see you at our school liturgy on Wednesday at 1 PM! All are welcome.
News from St. Ambrose Parish…
Ash Wednesday, February 14, 2018
Holy Masses will be held at 8:00 am and 7:15 pm. Distribution of ashes will be held at both Masses.
Sacrament of First Reconciliation for grade 2’s will receive the Lord’s forgiving mercy. Please keep these students in your prayers. Thursday, Feb 15 at 6:30 pm
Stations of the Cross will be prayed every Friday evening of Lent at 6:30 pm, beginning Friday, February 16, 2018
Telling the story of the suffering, death and resurrection of Jesus was an important part of the early Christian’s experience. In the late fourth century, people began making pilgrimages to the Holy Land, where they would follow the path that Jesus took to Calvary. During the Middle Ages, when outbreaks of war made it impossible for people to travel to the Holy Land, people created a Via Dolorosa, or “Sorrowful Way,” in their towns and villages. They erected paintings or sculptures depicting the Passion of Christ along a processional route or inside a church. By the mid-18th century, the number of stations was fixed at 14 and the devotion known as the Stations of the Cross, also called the Way of the Cross, became widespread.
An invitation from our Neighbours…
There will be several camps run at Forward Church on Myers road and they wanted to make sure the Holy Spirit Community was aware of their offerings. All children are welcome to attend!
-1 week of overnight camp at Mini Yo We in Muskoka. This is a camp for kids in grades 2-7.
-2 weeks of SMAAK (Summer Music and Arts Kamp). This is a camp for kids in SK – grade 7.
-1 week of jr. sports camp for kids in JK and SK
-1 week of ball hockey camp for kids in grades 1-5
-1 week of STEM camp for kids in grades 1-5
Additionally, students in grade 8 and older are welcome to apply to volunteer.
More information is available on their website at http://forwardchurch.ca/connect/kids/camps/
Monday, February 12th
- Girls’ Volleyball Practice at Lunch
- Girl’s Volleyball Game at St. Vincent de Paul After School
- Boys’ Basketball Game After School vs. St. Augustine @ Holy Spirit School.
Tuesday, February 13th
- Girls’ Volleyball Practice @ 8AM
- Girls’ Volleyball Game at St. Francis After School
- Lego/Colouring Club in Mrs. White’s room at Lunch
- Grade 6 Intramurals at Lunch
- Shrove Tuesday Pancake Breakfast
- Classroom Valentine’s Exchange
Wednesday, February 14th
- Boys’ Basketball Practice @ 8AM
- Girls’ Volleyball Practice at Lunch
- Lego/Colouring Club in Mrs. Rose’s room at Lunch
- Boys’ Basketball Game Vs. St. Vincent de Paul @ Holy Spirit
- Ash Wednesday Liturgy at 1PM (All Parents are welcome to join us)
- Montana’s Hot Lunch
Thursday, February 15th
- Boys’ Basketball Practice at Lunch
- REPORT CARDS GO HOME TODAY
- Sacrament of 1st Reconciliation @ 6:30PM at St. Ambrose Parish.
Friday, February 16th
- Pizza Day for Lunch
- Folk Dance Practice at 8AM
- Grade 8 Intramurals at Lunch
Looking Ahead Beyond this week…
- Family Day (February 19th)
- Lenten Confessions (February 23rd)
- March Break (March 12-16)
- Fitness Frenzy Kick Off Assembly (March 28th)
- Holy Thursday (March 29th)
- Good Friday (March 30)
- Easter Sunday (April 1)
- Easter Monday (April 2)
- Holy Spirit School Easter Mass (April 10th)
- First Communion Mass at St. Ambrose (April 14th)
- Fitness Frenzy Fundraising Event (April 18th)