A Great Start and Ready for October…
Last week was a wonderful week for our community. We celebrated Rowan’s Law Day and Orange Shirt Day. We also had a great Terry Fox Run as a community. Our Director, Mrs. Notten, and our Superintendent, Dr. Shoemaker, both visited the school and were pleased with the high level of engagement with the learning taking place. We all know how wonderful the Mighty Holy Spirit is, but it is always great when members of the Senior team see how great our community is too. We know it would not be the same place without our parent partners! We celebrated many of these moments on Twitter. If you get a moment, please follow us on twitter. Our handle is @HSFlames . A link to our main Twitter page is below:
Green Slip Behaviour Support System
A reminder to all parents that our new “Green Slip” system will be implemented on Monday. Please review the details from the Newswire below and if you have any questions please reach out to your child’s classroom teacher.
Construction Continuing on Junior/Intermediate Natural Playground
There is construction fencing in place around the work being done and students will be completely safe during the building process. We look forward to the final product which should be completed in 3 or 4 weeks, weather permitting.
Also, we would like to remind the community that there should be no video recording or taking pictures of our students on the yard. This is a safety concern and we ask that all parents respect our children’s right to privacy at school. Please see Administrative Procedure APC 023 on the WCDSB website for further information.
Collecting Gently Used Dump Truck Toys
There is a desire from our Kindergarten students in our ELKP area to play with outdoor Dump Truck Toys. If your family has passed this phase and would like to free up some space in your home, our Early Years team would appreciate any donations. We are grateful for any help you can provide in meeting this need.
Terry Fox Run was a HUGE Success!
On Thursday September 27th, 2018, Holy Spirit School participated in the Terry Fox School Walk. As a community we raised $1,543.55 and exceeded our goal of a Toonie per student. Mrs. Freitas was instrumental in leading and organizing this school-wide event and we are grateful for her leadership. Well done Flames!
Spirit Wear is Available to Order!
Please check out the link below and order your spirit wear so it can arrive before the Christmas rush in December. We hope everyone will be able to wear some Holy Spirit Gear with pride.
Have Your Say as the Province Begins Education Consultations Across the Province
The government of Ontario has started its consultation process this Fall and is inviting parents to share their thoughts. Please visit the website below and have your voice heard about the direction the Ministry of Education should take with education in the coming months.
The consultations are intended to focus on the following topics:
- How to improve student performance in the disciplines of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM);
- How our schools are preparing students with needed job skills;
- What more can be done to ensure students graduate with important life skills, like financial literacy;
- How to build an updated and age-appropriate Health and Physical Education curriculum that includes subjects like sexual health education, mental health and the legalization of cannabis;
- What measures can be taken to improve standardized testing;
- What steps schools should take regarding the use of technology in classrooms, such as the use of cell phones; and
- What elements would participants like to see included in the Ministry of Education Parents’ Bill of Rights.
LAST WEEK For the Thanksgiving Food Drive
Our student leadership team is organizing a Thanksgiving Food Drive in support of our St. Vincent De Paul charity. So many people in our community would be grateful for any support you can provide. A letter detailing the needs within the Cambridge community is found in the link below. We have a good start, but we can fit A LOT more food into our Foyer. We can do it Flames!
Hot Lunch Orders
Many students choose to participate in our hot lunch program. Each Wednesday we have a different vendor and every Friday is Pizza Day. Please do not feel obligated to participate in every hot lunch offering that we provide. However, when you choose to use the service, all of the proceeds go directly to programs that enhance the educational experience of all students at Holy Spirit School. All are welcome to participate when it works for your family.
Monday, October 1st
- Thanksgiving Food Drive Continues This Week!
- Parent Council Fundraising Sub-Committee Meeting @ 3PM in Conference Room. Contact Mr. Hunt if you would like to join us. All are welcome.
Tuesday, October 2nd
- Hanley Grade 6s Go to Shade’s Mill
- Grade 7 Camp Brebeuf Parent Meeting in the library @ 5PM
Wednesday, October 3rd
- Freitas, Mastroianni and Sousa Grade 6s go to Shade’s Mill
- Boys’ Volleyball practice in the gym
- Reading Club in Library
- Hot Lunch Montana’s
Thursday, October 4th
- EcoClub in library
- Grade 1 students travel to Brantwood Farms
- LAST DAY FOR THANKSGIVING FOOD DRIVE TOMORROW!
Friday, October 5th
- Pizza Lunch
- Kids Create Club in Library
- Thanksgiving Liturgy Led by Grade 2 at 1:15PM in the Gym. All are Welcome.
- Ultimate Frisbee Tournament at RIM Park.
- Thanksgiving Weekend…No school on Monday next week. Have a safe Holiday everyone!
Looking Ahead Beyond this week…
- Thanksgiving Monday (October 8th)
- Flag Football Tournament (October 18th)
- Municipal Election *Holy Spirit is a Polling Station (October 22)
- P.A. Day (October 26th)
- Grade 7s at Camp Brebeuf (November 1 and 2)
- Progress Reports Go Home (November 6th)
- Parent/Student/Teacher Conferencing (November 8th)
- P.A. Day (November 16th)
- Grade 7 Commitment Masses (November 24 and 25)
- Advent Confessions (November 30)
- School Family Advent Mass @ St. Ambrose Parish (December 5th)